Some point of vue to share about instant messagers and the discovery of a new one…
hello dear blog !
To chat I use since ever irc, and I’m very happy with it !
I convinced my family and some friends to join me on irc, and since 3 or 4 years we nerver had any problems… they even think it’s very usefull.
But (yes there is always a but…) many other friends or relative are using others (non-)operating systems than mine and they don’t even want to use IRC (loosers ! 🙁 )
I’ve tryed many of them :
- yahoo : it was funny but I don’t remember why I forget it somewhere after a new install…
- gnommeeting : cool project, with webcam support ! … but many windope users cannot talk we me, and the firewall configuration musts change if I change pc… a bit wierd 🙁
- jabber : yeah opensource, nice, etc… but… (again that but!) nobody I know use it !
- gaim : it’s cool, but it has many missing features to talk with M$N users… we arrived at the point…
Many users are using M$N 🙁
So I decided to have a look at :
- amsn : I’m still using this one, even if there is no webcam support, it supports emoticons 😉
Now many M$N users use still new features like wizz(?) I don’t even know what is, but amsn use it in the cvs version, I should test this…
So looking on the web I found this project : mercury, the screenshots sound great, with webcam support !! but… I never used it, I’ll try it and keep you inform…
Finaly I’m still using :
- skype: and I find this project very nice even if is not opensource :-S
So leave me comments with maybe your experiences on this topic.