Mandriva 2006 is provided with an interactive firewall available directly the desktop.
This solution is available only for mandriva at the moment but a cvs version of the deamon (mandi) is available too.
It’s based on :
- netfilter modules to detect intrusions
- a new netfilter target, IFWLOG
- shorewall (optionnal)
- mandi, a root socket to user apps bridge, using D-Bus
- net_applet, which receives alerts
- drakids, a blacklist/whitelist management tool
I think this is a nice solution for end/home users. Hope it will be available for other distribution too.
You can see screenshots at the project’s home page: Interactive Firewall